July 20, 2007

On cleaning up

One of my favorite ways to use up the remnants of a week's vegetables is by making fried rice. We always seem to have leftover rice in the fridge, which is the ideal state the rice should be in for a stirfry (each grain needs to be separated to avoid clumping). The great thing about fried rice is that you can really throw in almost anything and it will always taste great.

Last night I used onion, garlic, zucchini, cabbage and the previous night's leftover scallops and lobster from the birthday feast we had thanks to a local Chinese restaurant ;) I'm realizing as I write this that I had one shabby ear of corn whose kernels I should have thrown in there. Oh well, there is always next week!

I now have a LOT of green beans in my refrigerator and need a creative way to use them up.

This week's contents included the aforementioned green beans, zucchini, basil, onions, garlic, 2 pints of cherry tomatoes, 2 heirloom tomatoes, and strawberries!! My perishable leftovers from the last week or two include cabbage, zucchini and green beans. I don't foresee those three ingredients being thrown together in anything (except maybe a curry?) - so stay tuned for what we come up with...

1 comment:

KellytheCulinarian said...

Thanks for the ideas -- I hate to waste food.