August 14, 2007

My chicken had feet... and a head...

I got an email this morning asking me where I wanted to pick up my CSA share. I have three now, and I was feeling a little confused, until I began to remember some emails a few weeks ago about "finalizing the slaughter..." and remembered what I'd signed on for.

It's one of those days, you know, where there are 15 things you have to do before dawn and that's the relaxing part of your day. Now I had another item on my to-do list.

This afternoon I took my kids to see the newborn piglets at the Little Farm in Tilden Park (check), and on the way down decided I could pick up the meat. I could bore you with the details of the hour and a half worth of side trips I had to go on (damn you, cell phone), but all that matters is that when I got there, to this woman's house, to pick up the meat, there was a string duo playing on her front porch. I mean, god bless the USofA. I had a screaming baby on my back, another child sleeping in the car, filthy from the farm. All I'd done all day was feel stressed out about my List, but there I was, getting food, standing in beautiful evening sun light hearing live music. The moment was sacred and lovely and just another of the thousands of reasons why I love living here.

So my little bag of meat contained the following:

A fresh, whole chicken, butchered this morning. Next time I have to plan better for this, she's in the freezer now, but I cannot wait to have one of her kind fresh.

2 flank steaks

2 lbs of ground beef

a pork roast

2 cuts of stewing beef

1 dozen pastured eggs

All local. Sustainable. And lived happily in the sunshine until the slaughter was finalized. So here's to protien!

3 comments:

Miche said...

I'm so jealous! I can't believe how fast that all happened, didn't I just find this a few weeks ago?

Ruth said...

You did! Thank you by the way! I should have you over when I roast the pork!

Anonymous said...

Nice post!

I can only imagine that meat tastes worlds better than anything you could find in a store. Enjoy!