August 2, 2007

Farm Bill a Bust

Despite a large grass-root effort to overhaul the Farm Bill in support of smaller farms, it seems like that is just not going to happen. Listening to a panel, led by Michael Pollan, this spring regarding this year’s Farm Bill, I was (slightly) optimistic that a democrat-led congress could actually make some positive changes. It is unfortunate, but not surprising, that big-Ag prevailed in the end.


This gives me even more incentive to continue to do what we can on a local level to support small farms! Speaking for myself, I make this effort for many reasons, and one of them is definitely political. Money talks, and our purchasing power is nothing to sneeze at.

Here’s a great opinion article by Daniel Weintraub at the Sacramento Bee.

1 comment:

KellytheCulinarian said...

There's nothing quite like farm-stand produce. I swear, you can taste the love in it. Fresh veggies and fruits are just tastier. I'll keep buying it as long as it's still available, bill or not.