August 12, 2007

Ode to My Roots

Excuse my food blogginess for a post...but I did use products from our CSA delivery!

The 'ode to my roots' is not a nod to the French or Irish or English or German or any other genes in my blood that I am unaware of.  Nope - I'm talking about my geographical roots. 

Tonight I made salt potatoes.  You have probably never heard of them.  As far as I know, not only are they indigenous to central New York (Syracuse), they seem to not have made their way past that area.  You can read all about them here.

I found two recipes online.  One called for 1 lb of salt, 4 lbs of potatoes, water and butter.  That pretty much describes them!  The other wanted you to dump salt into the water until it was so salinated that no more could dissolve.  Believe it or not, that would also work.  After they are drained, the skin is coated with salt and deeeelicious.  

We had some cute little fingerling potatoes, and some purple/blue ones that were also on the small side.  I scrubbed them up (as you would, and should, with any potato.  There was no more work involved here even though the potatoes are covered with dirt) and put them in a pot of water.  I used about a pound of potatoes, tops.  Then, I grabbed the Morton's from the back of my closet (you could of course use sea salt) and dumped a lot in.  A.LOT.  Like, more than you would be comfortable with.  And that's the idea.  A container of Morton's is 1 lb., and I put in about 1/3 of the container.   

These are perfect in the summer as a side dish.  New potatoes are the classic type used - at least that's how they are sold.  Ideally they are a side dish accompanying something from the grill or a huge pot of steamed clams.  

1 comment:

KellytheCulinarian said...

Those are funky looking. I have never heard of those before, but I do love the carbs.