August 26, 2007

Pretty Darn Local Dinner Party

Well, maybe 'dinner party' is a bit of an exaggeration. We had dear friends over for dinner last night (newbies to California!), and I am proud of the menu that got whipped together...especially since I realized that so much of it was local! I didn't even do that on purpose. My pantry and refrigerator are just becoming more and more locally sourced as the months go on. Here's the menu with local products marked with an *. Some of things are unique to California, but I truly believe that similar could be done almost anywhere!

Appetizer:
Figs* & blue cheese* wrapped in prosciutto and broiled

Main:
Ribeye on the grill

Sides:
Potato* salad (made with a mustard vinaigrette. mustard from France ;))

Tomato*-Melon* salad made with a honey*/lemon verbena*/yogurt vinaigrette. The recipe was care of Eatwell Farm and I would like to reprint it here because it was really delicious!

Dessert:
Ollalieberry*/Rose Geranium* pie with creme fraiche*


Melon & Tomato Salad with Lemon Verbena

1/2 sm. melon, cut into 1 in pieces
3 sm tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
1 c. plain yogurt
1/3 c. finely minced lemon verbena
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tsp honey
2 tsp lemon juice
salt
pepper

Combine melon, tomatoes, and cucumber in a large salad bowl (I used a platter so as not to disturb the produce by mixing it too much). Whisk the remaining ingredients in small bowl. Pour dressing over melon salad and gently toss. (Honestly, I still have half the dressing leftover. Half of the amount would have been plenty).

2 comments:

KellytheCulinarian said...

It sounds like quite a meal! I can't wait to have a place to live where I can entertain.

MrsEm said...

Mmmm! So California! So delicious!