October 12, 2007

I said something about the apples

Referring to my post from a few weeks ago, I said something to the manager of the store. I sheepishly asked if 'anyone else has complained that the apples are coming all the way from New Zealand?'

Mgr: Why, no. Why should they?
Me: Well, I can drive probably 15 minutes from here and get some - they are in season!
Mgr: Huh. Well, there haven't been any complaints. They are SO delicious!
Me: Ok, but why couldn't they be sourced more locally? I mean, it's not even apple season in New Zealand, is it?
Mgr: Oh, huh. I don't know how they decide where they come from.

I kind of felt like an idiot. And I kind of felt good for saying something. Although it was to the wrong person. Oh well. Since then I've been on a mission to find local AND organic (because apples are leaded with pesticides). It's not difficult if I'm willing to cross town and go to Whole Foods. However - the CSA came through the past two weeks and we finally have apples! Hurray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every Fall we are blessed here in the mountains with the most delicious organic heirloom apples you have ever had from a local farmer. Unfortunately, the late freeze in May zapped all of our local apples (and berries. boooo) for this season and possibly next. I miss them so!

Enjoy your apples!

Miche said...

You're kidding! That is so sad to me. What is fall without apples? :( (or summer without berries?!)