April 15, 2008

Fruit!

We bit the bullet and signed up for a fruit CSA.  I say 'bit the bullet'...because it seems FAR from economical.  $20 for a 5 lb box!  So, why did we do it?
  1. Our kids are like little gorillas at the rate they plow through fruit.  
  2. It's mid-April, which means the fruit selection is only going to get better and better.
  3. The fruit comes from Frog Hollow Farm - unbeatable quality.  
  4. My husband finally finished reading The Omnivore's Dilemna (2 years late) and is really on board with the eat local movement!  
  5. I'm sick of trying to decide between the organic grapes flown in from Chile or the pesticide-laden stuff from nearby.
I picked up our first box tonight, and inside was:
1 grapefruit
2 navel oranges
2 tangerines
3 clementines
2 avocados (oooh...tricky!)
1 tomato (in April!  and ripe!)
2 apples
2 kiwi

The variety was definitely there, but the quantity is just, well, quaint.  I'm pretty sure we'll keep it going through the summer, though.   I know that cherries will be coming in about 6 weeks...and then there are those peaches.....  


No comments: