May 3, 2008

check this out

San Francisco Victory Garden

I just found out about this yesterday and got so excited!  I am going to send in an application for our family.  Cross your fingers that we get accepted!  

The city of San Francisco is going to choose 15 households that represent the 'diversity of San Francisco' to be part of this pilot program.  They issue you a kit AND will help you set up a food garden in whatever space you have available, no matter which microclimate you live in.  Our microclimate just happens to be the fog belt, which is one of the reasons I have never put much effort into growing food.  The other reason?  I *suck* at gardening.  Completely and totally suck.  I don't even know where to start.  

If we don't get chosen, I would like to get the kit anyway on a small scale.  This would be a great thing to do with the kids.  We are currently trying to grow sunflowers, which is going better than expected (I know,...sunflowers in the fog?  Well, it's not foggy, yet.)

At first I was taken aback by the city using the term 'Victory Garden'.  But, if you think about it, having a food garden thrive in your backyard/patio/deck is a huge victory for you and your family's health, the health of the environment...not to mention your budget!

Readers - do you have a food garden?  Where do you live and what do you grow?

No comments: