August 2, 2008

Super easy stovetop summer meal

It's the beginning of August - so most of you are sweltering somewhere.  Not me, but we are pretending that we are and made an easy stove-top dinner using this week's cherry tomatoes (all of them orange).  We saw Lydia make this a week or two ago and couldn't wait for our next batch of cherry tomatoes so that we could replicate it.  It's a perfect weeknight meal - it whizzes up in like 5 minutes.

Spaghetti and Pesto Trapanese

1.5 pints of cherry tomatoes
large handful of almonds, slightly toasted (I think walnuts would also be good?)
1 clove garlic
handful of basil leaves
salt
pepperoncino
olive oil

In a food processor - whizz all of these ingredients.  I like to put the garlic in first, to be sure it chops up fine.  On her show, she added the almonds before the tomatoes, but the recipe I use said to put the tomatoes in first.  I don't think it matters.  Add the olive oil last in a steady stream - to your taste.  Lydia always puts in way too much oil for me!

Toss with spaghetti.  Sprinkle with parmesan.  Done.

You could also get sneaky-mom and toss in other veg in here, I'm sure.  Zucchini?  Carrots?

No comments: